Friday, January 14, 2011

Welcome Mat for the New Leader

Think back to the past three jobs you have had where you led others.   How was your first month on the job?  How was your first DAY on the job?  Were your expectations met?  Did you get off to a good start?  Did your organization manage those leadership changes effectively?

Here are examples of two of my job changes.   The first was in the early 80's when I joined a major corporation as a new executive in one of their divisions.  There were 46 people in the eight departments that I was to lead.  To add to the challenge, this was my first corporate job.  For the past 12 years I had been an Army officer.   My first civilian job was a relatively high one, as I reported to the division president. I had no margin for error.  I knew the transition would require my very best efforts and attention and I was eager to get started in my new career.   The executive I replaced was anxious to move on to his next job, which was one he had waited three years to get.  No one gave me any idea what to expect on my first day.  The only experience I had in job changes previously had been in the Army.  They tended to be somewhat well managed (at least in peacetime).  

I reported for work on my first day and went to the outgoing executive's office as I had been told to do.  We chatted for a few minutes and then he said, "Come with me."  We wandered through the labyrinth of hallways and came to a door that was marked with just a number.  He opened the door and ushered me in.  Sitting and standing in that room were the 46 people I was about to lead.  I knew nothing about them (nor they me) and I had no inkling that this meeting was about to happen.  The outgoing director stood in front of the group and said words to the effect of, "This is your new boss.  He comes to us from the Army.  The floor is yours.  Good luck."  He then walked out and winked at me as he closed the door.   I had all of 30 seconds to get a grip on things, check my attitude and body language, and launch into some sort of introductory remarks.  Needless to say, this was a very important first encounter.  As the old adage goes: "You only have one opportunity to make a good first impression."   Well, I survived the moment and went on to enjoy a couple of successful years in that role.  I had a great team.

Now to another job transition--eight years later.  I was joining another Fortune 500 company as a vice president.  My first day on the job my boss was out of town for a week.  Her executive assistant had a detailed agenda of whom I was to meet during the first two weeks and  the purpose of each meeting.  Included in the process were all of the administration steps associated with joining a new company.  My boss had left instructions that two days later I was to join a team from one of our three divisions that would be hiring a number of people in advance of a large contract start-up five states away.  That team leader had a checklist for me of what my role would be and how to get started doing it.  It was a great hands on introduction to their business that lasted for three days.  At the end of my first two weeks on the job I had a good headstart into my roles and responsibilities.    

These two job changes were miles apart in their approach and their effectiveness.   The first put my career at risk in the first moments on the job.  The second one got me off to a decent start. After two weeks, I had made the circuit through the company's three divisions.  I was comfortable in what my job would entail and the people I would be assisting.  I felt welcome and energized.  While the second transition was considerably better than the first, I knew there was a better way to do this.  In subsequent postings I will share these insights. If you would care to share a couple of your own contrasting transitions to new jobs, it would be great to hear your stories. http://www.esiassoc.com/  http://www.michaelkburroughs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment