Sunday, February 13, 2011

After The Interview With An Executive Recruiter

There are likely several opinions on this subject, but here are my own.  The subject is how to thank a recruiter who just interviewed you. When I have met with prospective candidates for either a job-related or a courtesy interview, it surprises me when I do not hear from them afterward either through an email or a hand-written note.  Either is appropriate, and the practice itself is just common courtesy and common sense.  That said, it makes more of an impact on me when I receive a note card with brief comments thanking me for the meeting and reinforcing whatever point is important to them.   I chuckle at myself when opening and reading them that in this fast-paced information age, a handwritten note still grabs my attention--more than the same note sent via email instead.

 If, however, the candidate needed to send me some additional supporting documentation, such as a reworked resume,  then the email is most appropriate and I don't give it a second thought.  I knew in advance, in most cases, that it would be forthcoming.

My point in this brief posting is simply this:  If you are sending any communication as a way of thanking your interviewer, opt for a handwritten note.  A personal touch such as this is better than an impersonal email. You have a chance of better connecting with the recruiter in a way that is different (really) from your competition.  Most people send an email. While emails are fast and efficient, they lack a personal touch and are less professional in my view than a note with the same message.  If you are interviewing a lot, lately, buy some nice "Thank You" cards and use them. Write and mail the note the same day as your interview. It will get to the recipient in a timely manner and the vast majority of the time the note will be opened by that person and read.

The same advice holds true following an interview with anyone--including a potential employer and all members of that interviewing team.   Yes, it will take more time to do this.  But it's worth the effort.
http://www.esiassoc.com 
http://www.michaelkburroughs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment